Quite a departure from the traditional recipe but this is how I like to make it.
- 2 red onions, sliced very thinly
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g cooked prawns, drained
- 4 sachets fine noodles (Sharwoods Stir Fry ones are good)
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 100g beansprouts
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 8 tbsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (or more if you want to make it extra hot)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 100g salted cashews, roughly chopped
- Heat oil to medium in a large wok of pan
- Mix together fish sauce, chilli sauce, chilli flakes and lime juice and set aside
- Add the onions and fry for 6-7 minutes until golden and soft
- Add noddles to the pan and toss with the onions for 3-4 minutes until separated
- Add the cooked prawns and egg and stir fry until eggs are distributed and cooked
- Add the bean sprouts and sauce mix and stir fry for a further minute
- Take off the heat and mix in the chopped nuts
If using raw prawns, add these in and cook before adding the noodles. In my experience they taste good but shrink way too much when added that early. Cooked prawns tend to keep their size.
The traditional recipe uses chilli sauce instead of dipping sauce and peanuts instead of cashews. I find the ‘normal’ chilli sauce a little too rich and the peanuts too hard but that’s just personal preference.